July 16, 2007

New York, New York

Last week I took a trip with 8 other women in my family to New York city (3 of my aunts, 3 cousins, my sister and mom) What a trip!! I have never had such a fun trip before! We left on Monday and returned on Friday. We did all the touristy things that you think of doing in New York and some fun side things recommended by the locals.

We stayed in the Manhattan Club which is just half a block off of Broadway in Times Square. Our first night in town we walked up and down Broadway and ended up eating at Bubba Gump's. Yummy!!!!! Shrimp is probably my favorite food in the world, so this was the perfect restaurant for me!


The 2nd day we went on a tour around the city and took a ferry over to Liberty Island to see the Statue of Liberty. Any guesses on how thick the copper is that she is made out of?? It will amaze you if you don't already know!


Day three we visited the Empire State Building and then went shopping in China Town (what an experience!!) We got kicked out of one of the booths because Danyel dared to ask if the lady would take less for a knock-off Doche and Gabana purse!!! She called us cheap and snatched it out of Danyel's hand!!! So Danyel went around the corner and found the same purse and bought it!

Here we are (mom, Danyel and me) on top of the Empire State building. Couldn't help but think of "Sleepless in Seattle" the whole time I was up there!


View from the top of the Empire (86th floor)


I couldn't resist posting this picture! Here we are in the elevator going up to the 86th floor of the building. Danyel looks a little claustrophobic, what do you think?? From left to right it is Danyel, mom, my cousin Michelle and cousin Angela


Later that night we went to see "Mama Mia" on Broadway. The only time it rained the whole week was this night. We were within walking distance of the theater, but we knew couldn't walk or we'd get soaked! So, we went out side to see if the bellman could help us get a taxi. He asked this one man standing there if he could take 9 women just around the corner and he said sure. We were relieved, but relief turned to excitement when we saw him drive up in a white limo! We arrived at the theater in style that night!




Here we are at the "Stardust" restaurant right next door to "Mama Mia." The waiters and waitresses are aspiring Broadway singers, so they sing to th guests in the restaurant as they serve. It was SO fun!


Thursday morning we went to Central Park and strolled around in there for a while. Then we took a carriage ride. It was about 70 degrees and zero humidity. Perfect!!


In the carriage...PERFECT day!!

After Central Park we went to FAO Schwartz (one of my favorite stops), then we walked down the streets in that area with stores like Prada, Louis Vitton, and Tiffany's.
This was taken in front of Tiffany's. I didn't even go in. How depressing that would be to look at gorgeous jewelry of the likes you will never own. Next door to this is the Trump tower. Right after snapping this picture we saw Ivanka Trump (Donald Trump's daughter) walk right by us and into the building. None of us thought fast enough to grab our camera.


Look how brave we all were riding the subway!!

From the left: My aunt Shannon, Aunt Sharon, other Aunt Sharon in the back, mom, Angela and cousin Kristin.

For our last night in New York we decided to take the advice of one of the locals and venture off of Manhattan Island. We took the subway to Brooklyn and ate at the famous Grimaldi's coal oven pizza joint there. It was AMAZING pizza!!!! Worth the wait in line to get in, for sure! It is right on the harbor, so you have a great place to walk over and look at the city all lit up at night and enjoy some yummy ice cream there as well. After pizza and ice cream we WALKED...yes, walked back over the Brooklyn Bridge back to the island. What a sight!! New York city all lit up. Unbelievable!!

Before the week was over we were already planning our next trip. We're thinking California next time! We just had so much fun laughing and being together. Can't wait until next time!

4 comments:

ashley said...

I'm jealous Tamra...looks like an amazing trip!! Thanks for your email today...I'll write back soon!

Louisiana Belle said...

What a great trip- I went my senior year in college with the art department and loved it. But, I must say that the girl time looks like the best fun! Glad you were able to have a fun getaway this summer!

Jennifer Bacak said...

Tamra,
I too just took a girls trip with my family to NY, and had a very similar trip! We stayed right off of Broadway also. We ate at the Seattle Cafe a lot on Broadway, because it was so cheap and good. Didn't you love Mama Mia? I love that show! It's so fun!
Aren't you tempted to just go audition for some of the shows and see if you could get a call-back? I was.
In fact, I saw Mama Mia four years ago when Rusty and I went, and I remember the lead girl reminded me so much of you!!!! I thought of you the whole time! How funny!
I'm glad you had a fun trip. I have some of the exact same pics of mine...in front of Tiffany's, FAO Schwartz's, etc.
Glad to hear you're doing well!
Love and miss you!
jenn

Tamra Perkinson said...

Jenn...

It's funny because I knew you had just taken a girls trip to NY, so I thought of you the whole time I was there. You guys went to see Lion King this time, didn't you? We really wanted to see Mary Poppins most of all, but it was sold out along with all the other Disney's (Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, etc.) I never realized so many different Broadway shows showed at the same time. That is pretty cool.
I NEED your e-mail address girl!! Will you e-mail me so I can reply back? Mine is: tamra.perkinson@yahoo.com

Miss you!!
Tamra