April 24, 2007

Pray for our trip!

If you think of us this week and weekend, pray for us. I am leaving to go to a conference in Minneapolis on Thursday afternoon to return Saturday night. I am SO excited!!! My kids will be going with Chris on Wednesday night and returning to me Sunday after church. This is kind of their Spring Break. I am already dreading that part and missing them before they're gone!! Chris is planning to take them on their first camping trip (good luck!!! HA!)

Two years ago I went to this same conference with some dear Christian women (Jenni, Julie, Jennifer and Amber). It was truly (not to be overly dramatic) life-changing. The idea of how we teach our children about God was a new on to me, one I hadn't considered much. One seminar that stood out to me SO vividly was the session called, "Teaching God-Esteem in a Self-Esteem World." What a concept that was to me!! So ever since, the phrase, self-esteem is a dirty one! We need to teach our children that they DO have worth, but only really because of who made them and who they are IN Him. No other "esteem" is valid or even beneficial the studies now say.

SOOO...all that to say, I am SO stinkin' excited to go again this year! This time we have a group of 11 ladies going so it is even better. To see their website, go here. To see who is speaking (I'll give you a hint...John Piper!!!) go here. To read more about the Children's Desiring God philosophy, go here.

We are now using their curriculum at church and it has been such a blessing. One of their main emphasis is scripture memory. Just FYI- when we caught on to this whole philosophy a little over two years ago, I started teaching Benjamin (then 2) memory verses out of this collection they called "Foundation Verses." This week B will be finishing that packet. People, that is 76 verses!!!! Do you know 76 verses? I bet you didn't when you were 5!! I know I didn't. I just love the idea of pouring scripture into their hearts and minds when their heart is tender and mold-able and then give them a grand view of the Almighty God (as best as we can to our understanding and limitations as humans) and then point them to Him again and again sharing His beautiful gospel.

Wow, now I'm really getting excited!! Just wait till I get back and want to tell you more!!
Pray for our trip and pray for my kids that I will be at peace and they will be safe while not with me. Thank you!!

5 comments:

ashley said...

Have a great time Tamra!

Kim said...

Tamra,

That sounds wonderful! Our church uses that as our children's curriculum as well! How fun to get to go to the conference!!!

Have a great time!

Did you receive my email? I sent it and then thought that maybe I did something wrong with the address...I copied it and pasted it and I don't always do that right!

Sincerely,

Kim

Anonymous said...

Tamra,

Have fun!! I wish I could go, but I will be thinking about and praying for you all. I'm so glad we met there two years ago. My life is richer for it!

love,
ann

Anonymous said...

Where's the update?! Surely you don't have anything else to do! :)

Jennifer Bacak said...

Sorry, I'm just catching up on your blog.
You are echoing my heart for our kids; teaching the Word EVERYDAY and weaving Him into everything we do. Drawing their hearts toward a love relationship that will last a lifetime. It's so beautiful to watch it happen before our eyes!
By the way, we are doing a book discussion of "Shepherding a Child's Heart" on www.allthingswifeandmom.blogspot.com, just click on Shepherding a Child's Heart, and jump in. I think you'd enjoy it.
Also, I think I see someone in your pics from the conference I've met here in College Station. Lamar? Am I dreaming that?
jenn