September 29, 2008

The Story

Okay, so there is just no time to post on my blog! Can I tell you how busy I am right now? I am so blissfully happy these last few weeks, I'm flittering around trying to come down to reality often enough to feed and clothe my kids and do my job! But anyway...I am so very happy right now, as we all are when things are going right. But I'm sure that you can imagine it runs deeper than that. I'm looking at a big picture and I see God's hand. And can I tell you? This whole blessing of an amazing man to be my husband and a dad to Benjamin and Cait is so not deserved. Seriously. I mean, God cared for us and lavished us with His care and provision and salvation. Hello! That would have been so much more than I deserve in and of itself. But...isn't it just like God to give us what we don't deserve to show us that it isn't about us. It's about Him and His unfailing, ever-flowing love. I am one blessed girl.

So...how did he propose? Well, going back even further, I told you the story of how we met here. If you didn't hear that story you can go catch up. It has been 8 months since that first meeting and God is so good to lead us here! Woo Hoo!

So, on September 14, Paul and I had a great day together. The kids were with Chris, which is unusual for a Sunday. But none the less, we went to La Madeline around lunch time and had brunch. This is one of our favorite things... to go there for brunch and sit outside. We bring our Bible and devotional book and read to one another. It's wonderful! That day was no exception. After brunch we ran to the mall and we shopped a little. He bought me a new pair of jeans and himself a few things also. It was a fun afternoon hanging out. Then, we went back to my house and got ready for dinner. He took me to my favorite restaurant...Jaspers. It is WONDERFUL! It's at the Shops at Legacy. Divine food!

Okay, so the reason this restaurant is significant is because this is where Paul took me on our second date. The first date was awkward!!! But the second date had given us two weeks of getting to know one another over the phone and it was comfortable, fun and sparks began to fly that night. Can I just tell you how handsome he is??? OH! He makes my heart flutter! I remember how I felt the beginnings of that flutter that night. It's a night we go back and relive often. "Remember on our second date when..."

So we drove to the restaurant on THE night and he had asked for our table. The waitress walked us straight there. No suspicions yet. Then I see Paul has a beautiful gift bag in his hand. Then I start to get nervous. We sat down and chatted, giggled and gazed at one another. He was so stinking relaxed. "This isn't it!!" No way could he be relaxed if he were about to propose!!!

So after the meal he pushes over the gift bag. I open it and find a Kodak book that he had made for me. It was the story of our courtship. It documented every little thing with words and pictures. I love that man! At the back there was a message from him that said that these memories with me and B and C were precious to him and that he wants to make a lifetime more of memories. He said that he knew God's hand had been in brining us together long before we met and that now he's grateful, eventhough it was hard to wait for me sometimes.

And then I turned the page one last time to read:

TAMRA
WILL
YOU
MARRY
ME

I looked over at him to find him with a ring box in his hand and tears in his eyes. How precious he is...oh if you only knew! I've waited for that day for a long time now and I can't believe it came with all the joy and healing and promise that I hoped it would.

Can I just say that my blog title, "Strength for Today, Bright Hope for Tomorrow," has so described my road. God gave me those things because He is perfectly faithful. Thank you Lord!

Paul and I are excited to be engaged, but more excited to be married! So, the plan is to have a tiny family wedding on November 22 (yes, of this year) here in Dallas. Paul's dad will perform the ceremony at this beautiful little chapel we found. Cait will be our flowergirl and Benjamin will walk me down the aisle. They will be the only ones to stand up with us.

Intimate is our theme for the wedding and I think we have that mentality because of the kids. We know that hundreds of people will be rejoicing with us in that day, whether crowded in the tiny chapel or not.

THANK YOU for your prayers and your joy expressed for us! It blessed us beyond belief to read your comments! God is good!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm now wiping the tears from my eyes. Tamra, your journey has been a beautiful picture of God's faithfulness. I think the part that touched me the most in your story was how it is common for you two to go to La Madeleine's and have devotionals together. What Christian woman doesn't dream of a relationship like that? And the book! Wow! I can't imagine how patient he must be, waiting for that book to arrive. May the Lord continue to bless you two and the kids! We rejoice with you at the lavishness of His love!
ps...it's a good thing you posted the story. I was about to send you a nasty email about leaving us all hanging!
Love you!

Dimple Queen said...

Tamra, I am so excited for you and for Paul. You are one precious woman, and God HAS blessed you. I am thankful to Him for you! Thank you for sharing the story. It was so sweet! He does sound like an amazing man!

I agree with hassemomma up there...the part that touched me too was the fact that you two had made it such a common thing for you to have those devotionals together. And the book sounds amaziing!

Angie

Missy Steadman said...

I am over the top so happy for you! What an amazing journey!

Treats by Trish said...

WOW! How absolutely perfect and romantic! You ARE one lucky lady! I hope THE day is just perfect - I know it will be - but I will pray for it anyway.

Anonymous said...

I am wiping tears from my eyes while at work... What a beautiful story! Somehow I knew that the wedding would be soon and that it would be small. You are right that there are hundreds of us that will be rejoicing with you that day and would die to be able to be there but I can't even tell you how perfect it will be to have just family and your precious children be the ones standing with you! I love you!
Danielle

Anonymous said...

Dear Tamra,

That is truly romantic and perfect!
I am so happy for you. and I think you are smart to keep it small and intimate for your children, and for you two. I also think it is good that it will be soon. You know God has brought you together, there is no need to prolong things. I wish I could be there, but my heart and prayers will be with you two on that day. Please post pictures.

Nathan and I, too, spent most of our dates (at the library) doing Bible study together and it truly bonded us together. It is a wonderful way to start your relationship and grow in the Lord together.

Please keep us all posted on how things are progressing and I wish you all the happiness and love a marriage and family can have. And please give the kids love and hugs from Judah and Truth.

may God bless you and keep you,
ann

Louisiana Belle said...

Thank you so much for sharing the story! I've been wanting to hear all about it! Rejoicing with you- thanks for being open throughout this journey- it truly is a beautiful picture of God's faithfulness!

Amber Smith said...

Thank you for sharing that sweet sweet story. I am truly happy for you both. Many many prayers have been lifted up for you, Benjamin, and Cait. I am so glad to see how God has answered them in such a wonderful way. It is exciting, isn't it? I can't wait to see what the future holds for your family.

Mindy said...

Tamra,

I LOVE YOU!! Words cannot describe the joy in my heart as I read this story! Thank you for allowing me to walk through these past few years with you. It has been a hard road, but the Lord's presence and faithfulness has brought joy even in the midst of the pain. The knowledge that He was with you throughout it all has strengthened so many people's faith. Thank you for opening up your life and your struggles to so many so that the Lord might be glorified. And, I know that that is your greatest desire.

Love you so much,
Mindy

Angel said...

Precious and perfect. What a wonderful way to propose. He is such a gift. My heart is so overjoyed for both of you. It sounds like a beautiful way to celebrate your wedding in a way that is sensitive to little hearts. I will be floating on air with you the day you float down the aisle. I hope we get lots of great pics on the blog so we can experience your wonderful day. I would just keel over and die of happiness to see a video clip on here of the vows. So where is the honeymoon??? WOOOHOOOO!!! You are going to be married in only WEEKS!!! This is beyond amazing! So are you and the kids moving into his place? Is homeschooling anywhere on the horizon? I know that was in your heart at one point. Ok now I am just being nosy. Sorry. ;0)I am so happy that now you will have this amazing journal of God's faithfulness to bring you through the desert and into the promised land. I can hardly wait to see this become a blog about your new life as a family. WOW!!! Angel

Jennifer Bacak said...

Tamra,
I've obviously been behind. That was awesome, and like everyone else, made me cry.
I'm so grateful for Paul as well, and that I had the chance to meet him!
God is so good. Marriage is so good. I pray you guys will know His fullness of marriage in the years to come!
jenn

Unknown said...

Yay Tamra! We will be thinking of you! Keep us posted on all the details (I'm nosy too...)

Wendi said...

Tamra,
What an amazing life you have ahead of you...with such a perfect beginning. I agree with Angel about watching this turn into a blog about your new life as a family - how wonderful that will be to see it all unfold. The thing that keeps coming to my mind over and over again is Joel 2:25 "I will restore to you the years
that the locusts have eaten," and then some. The wedding sounds perfect. Looking forward to seeing the posts afterward. Have an amazingly blessed wedding day and honeymoon in JAMAICA!!!