April 14, 2008

Homemade Vanilla


Okay, so do you love to bake? Well if so, you need this vanilla. You've never had anything like it and nothing I've ever tasted compares.

Best of all, it is EASY and way less expensive than buying the cheap, less yummy stuff from the grocery store!

Here are the girls on our vanilla making night!



Okay, so here's the recipe. Enjoy!

Vanilla Extract


1 bottle of 80 proof Vodka (we made Eric go to the liquor store and buy 2 cases of Vodka!)
6-8 Vanilla beans (we ordered in bulk from an on-line based company)

Split the beans with a sharp knife. Pull open to ensure that they will stay open.
Drop beans into Vodka bottle.
Shake. Done.

You will want to continue to shake the bottle several times a week to help the process along. It needs to sit for at least 4-6 weeks before you can use it. However, the longer it ages, the better it becomes! Store it in a dark place for best results. Julie said that when she gets to the bottom of her bottle it's almost a little syrupy. Yummy!!!


We're planning to make jelly together again next month. Can't wait!
Any other ideas of fun and simple things our little group can make or learn to make together? Please share!

4 comments:

Wendi said...

I love reading about all the fun things you do with your friends but never comment...I saw my grandma do this once but have never tried it - I will now, since I use vanilla all the time (homemade ice cream - yummy!). I recently shared how to make homemade chocolate syrup with my buddies, maybe y'all could try that. Whatever you do - keep having fun!

Christi said...

I made some before Christmas - and John made some cool labels so we could give it with our gifts! Fun! Wish I were there to share! FUN!

Amber Smith said...

Sorry to have missed out on that fun little project. It looks like you guys had fun, though. I can't wait to try my vanilla. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I love the things you and your friends come up with to do. I'm snagging this one. I just sent an email out to my Austin buddies to see who all would like make some vanilla!
I miss you and wish I could be with you more often!