September 11, 2007

Shoestring Club

Six years ago today I found out via ultrasound that I would be having a baby boy. I was in total bliss while the rest of the world was numbed by the catastrophic events of the day. It was a bitter sweet time. I was looking at my sweet boy today and just feeling my heart almost want to burst with love for him and gratefulness to the Lord for giving him to me. Have you ever heard that saying about motherhood? You know, the one that says it so hard because for the first time "Your heart is walking around outside of your body." Heard that before? Gosh, is it true.

Well, motherhood is full of little struggles and little victories; little heartaches and big "my cup runeth over" moments. Today we had such a little victory to celebrate. I know, to some of you this may seem so trite...so trivial and not worthy of celebrating. But to me...to us it was a true victory. It was a milestone in growing up. Are you ready? Benjamin learned to tie his shoe laces! Aren't you impressed? His motivation came from his teacher. She said that if they learned to tie their laces, that they could be in her "Shoestring Club." Benjamin was intent on being a member of the club. He begged for 2 days to have help. We sat down tonight and I taught him again and again and let him practice until he got it. We celebrated in a grand fashion and I found myself almost in tears because of it. I was thinking, "Before you know it, he'll be driving his car filled with all his worldly possessions away to college." It's just around the corner now that he can tie his own laces!!!

6 comments:

Missy Steadman said...

Yeah! Another official member of the Shoestring Club! Way to go!

Louisiana Belle said...

Those milestones are such good reminders of the gift these little ones are! My baby turned two years old today- the day he was born, he was a reminder of hope and renewal despite a nation that was mourning after Hurricane Katrina- and remembering the 9/11 anniversary. I'm glad that God gives us beauty from ashes!

Dimple Queen said...

TImothy is working on that same thing right now. Carlton has been teaching him. Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

I cried the other day when I saw Rachel put her shoes on by herself. (They are just velcro since she is only 2.) Of course I am full of hormones right now because I am pregnant but those little things always make me teary-eyed! Love you!

Angel said...

Oh I totally get it. Every little mile stone, every inch they grow makes me teary. It all goes so fast! It's beautiful and fleeting. What a precious memory. You are a spectacular mommy. Hugs, Angel

Amber Smith said...

The shoestring club! How clever! I know what you mean about those little milestones. I tear up all the time about the littlest things. I'm so not ready for the day that Mary Alice loses her first teeth. Our kids are getting so big! I can hardly stand it.