September 30, 2007

Shoestring Club...Foiled!!!

Okay, so this "Shoestring Club" thing started out so sweet and fun. Then, he started wanting to wear his shoes to school that actually had laces. I resisted this idea because his daddy bought him really cool shoes from REI for school that do not lace. I was thinking of his teacher and his front teeth here. I was thinking of poor Mrs. Gilliland having to wait 10 minutes for Benjamin to tie his shoes at any given time. And I was thinking of Benjamin's front teeth in that I always worry my kids will fall and bust out their front teeth. Do you do that? Silly, because I know they're gonna be falling out one day soon anyway. That whole scenario just seems so very traumatic!!

Anyway, I gave in and have been letting him wear his tennis shoes that lace to school most days. However, on Thursday when he came home from school I noticed that he had a little note written in the discipline section of his folder. I got that sick feeling in my stomach!!! Don't you SO want your child to be perfect?? And when they're not, it's such a blow! So guess what the note said? Yep, you guessed it!!

"Benjamin disobeyed today. He was asked to stop messing with his shoes laces, but did not. He ended up tying his shoes together."

Oh yes...can you help but laugh??? I will tell this story on him one day when he brings home a girl to meet me. I will tell of his obsession with tying his laces!

On a side note, his class has a different "Prayer Bear" each week. This is a child in their class that they are asked to pray for everyday of that week. And that child is assigned to pray for them in return. So precious! Well, Benjamin always prays for his friends that they will be in the "Shoestring Club" soon, like him!!! This is a big deal to him, y'all!!

I hope you find something to laugh about today. Isn't it fun to laugh?? It's good medicine for the soul!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so DO worry about that front teeth thing, too! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. And I also cringe when I play that scenerio in my head. Well, your post today definitely gave me something to laugh about. Good Job!

~ann

Angel said...

Oh how funny. He tied them together! Hee hee. The trials of our little ones! Angel

Dimple Queen said...

That is so funny! I do know about the cringing part too...my little one is going through a "phase" but hers consists of hitting and pinching her TEACHER!!! I cringe everytime I pick her up and ask how her day was. The teacher looks at me and says something like, "Well we started out really good and ended that way too, BUT Rachel spent a total of 40 minutes in timeout through out the day today for hitting and pinching!" OUCH...that hurts....what to do what to do!!!!

Angie