February 18, 2007

Peeto and Penny

The kids and I grabbed a bite to eat tonight for dinner. We sat down in our booth and got settled in. Cait looked at me like I was crazy and asked me where Peeto and Penny were supposed to sit! Duh, mom!!! I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten to make space at our table for Cait's beloved friends Peeto and Penny. They go with us everywhere. They get blamed for many spills, mistakes ans the like. They need tissues on occasion or sometimes band-aids. They share in picnic lunches and family drama in Cait's little "world." They are dear friends and deserve a space at the table with us, right? Cait told me that today was Peeto's birthday and that she wanted the waiters to sing to him. I got a little nervous...I could just picture me asking the waiter and all the wait staff to sing to an imaginary person. As much as I love my daughter and indulge her when it comes to her imaginary friends, I just don't think I could've brought myself to do this one thing for her. If I remember, I'll take a picture of them with Cait so that you can see what they look like. If you see them, would you let me know? Cause I haven't the slightest idea myself what these friends look like!!!
A side note about my sweet Cait...she's been so sick this week. She had the fever, snotty/cough like I did, then she ended up with pink eye in both eyes. Benjamin had the same exact things this week as well, but he's tougher than my baby girl. He's begging to go outside and play with 102.5 fever! She's crying and wanting to be held because her lips are chapped! Anyway, I was so proud of her this week. Do you know what she did? She gave up her lovey! Do you know what her lovey is? It is her special satin mini-blanket and has been with her since she was 6 months old or so. She has to sleep with it ever single night and when she's sick, or tired or sad...you get the point! She never sucks her thumb, unless she has her lovey. She LOVES her lovey!!! Well, this week, following her dentist appointment with dr. Bean, Cait decided to give up her lovey!!! Dr. Bean told me that we were going to have lots of dental issues if we didn't get her to stop sucking her thumb. So I explained to her what Dr. Bean had said and so she told me that she wanted to be a big girl and not suck her thumb any more. And she did it. She told me at bedtime that she didn't need that lovey anymore. So, it's been about a week now and no lovey. SO weird to me how she could be so obsessed with something and then just let it go, just like that! She's growing up! Don't you hate it when they do that?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It could be worse. My friend told me about how another friend of her's got called to her child's school office b/c she was talking about her imaginary friend "lucifer" all day. Come to find out it was just from Cinderella--the cats name. Peeto and Penny are cute!

Anonymous said...

My mother-in-law had an imaginary friend when she was little named ovey... like lovey with no l. Anyway, I think it is really cute!

Amber Smith said...

YES! I DO!!! Major is a thumbsucker also. Josh has been really pressuring me to try to get him to stop sucking his thumb. Josh is right. Major's teeth are starting to look awful! But it is just so cute!

Angel said...

Awwwww sweet girl!!! She is so adorable. Tell her I think she is super big and brave.

My little girl is sick right now. It's 1 am. I'm up standing guard! :0) Angel