August 26, 2006

Small Groups

Our church is new to the whole small group idea. We have been meeting once a month on the last Friday at someone's house. We're divided up into small groups (obviously) and we get rotated around, so that we are getting to know lots of people in our church better, not just 3 or 4 of the same families. We have food, a mini-Bible study/discussion time and lots of fellowship. Isn't fellowship such a Baptist word? But I hate not to use it because what is the alternative? Talking? (So much more than that) Gossiping (No!) Visiting (More than that too). I'll stick with fellowship. Fellowship-communion, as between members of the same church. Yes, fellowship.
Anyway, what a good time a fellowship, study and snacking we did have. It was my first small group by myself. I was a little nervous if I would feel like a 5th wheel, so to speak, but I didn't. The kids played perfectly with their friends (thanks to Leah and Nina monitoring the kids), I got to visit with some of my favorite people (Especially Mrs. Judy...enough said!). Bro Hal was in our group so the discussion was deep, meaningful and very applicable to life...especially mine right now. The evening ended with Bro Hal playing the guitar in the living room and singing some songs he composed. I didn't even know he played. I felt overwhelmed with a feeling of comfort and peace all at the same time.
I thank God that my first weekend alone in this house without any visiting company to support me, I've been really busy. We had small small last night, we have a birthday party today and then our cooking group trades meals this afternoon. I'll tell you more about that later. Anyway, so far I've survived my first "real life" Friday as a single mom. It honestly still seems like a bad dream and I'm going to wake up and everything will go back to the way it was. I know it won't and for the first time I'm ready to say that I'm glad it won't. Everything makes sense in retrospect, of course and I see now how I'm better off alone than being deceived. To some it might be a toss up, but I choose the truth. "And the truth shall set you free..."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us updated on what's going on in your life. I know it helps me to know that you are being cared for. And, it's truly God's grace that you desire to know such a devastating truth rather than wanting to hide from it. He truly will set you free...this whole situation is orchestrated to transform you from glory to glory and to bring GREAT GLORY TO OUR SAVIOUR as He proves Himself faithful...we're watching and praising Him for you.

Love you sister,
Min

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are staying "plugged in" to things at church, etc. It would be so easy for you to just withdraw from all of that... I am praying for you and hoping for a time that Rachel and I could come visit! I love you!
Danielle

Tamra Perkinson said...

Ashley, I'm praying for you girl and those sweet babies. Hang in there!!

Mindy, you are an endless source of encouragement and I love you!

Danielle, Please come visit ASAP! I would love it!

Hope everyone else is having agreat weekend too.

P.S. Thank you to the certain someone who slipped a very large green bill into my purse last night at small group. I don't know who you are, but I felt so blessed and provided for by our Savior! I know that had to be exactly what you wanted me to feel. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

His strength is perfect,
when our strength is gone.
He'll carry us when we can't carry on.
Raised in His power, the weak become strong.
His strength is perfect.

Thank you for sharing your life through this blog and for demonstrating through your journey how much you depend on Him to carry you through. You are an encouragment to me in my journey.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you started a new blog!!! Love the pictures of Benjamin! Maybe he should wear his muscle costume next week! :) What a treasure you are to our fellowship Tamra. We continue to pray for you and love you so dearly. What a good God we serve who knows what we need more than we even know. Remember that He knows what you need! Blessings to you my sweet friend,
Amy