September 14, 2006

Aaahhhh! Fall!

Who could possibly be in a grumpy or gloomy mood when the weather has been like it has here the last two days? Perfect. Cool, a little breezy...gorgeous! I love fall! It is my favorite season of the year. The colors, the food, the holidays, the relief from the hot Texas summers...and my birthday too. I have been in the best mood the last two days. I can't help but thank God for the way He made this earth and all it's beauty.
Yesterday after a morning of teaching the kids and I came home to a perfect day and we decided to stay outside and soak it all in. We played outside for at least an hour until it was time for lunch. We had a little picnic in the backyard and then played some more. What fun!
Today we stayed in our pj's until around 10:00 when we ventured outside for yet more enjoyment of the perfect weather. Shortly after, a man came by to talk with me about some health insurance. I knew he had to be a christian when he walked in the door, because he was wearing one of those ties with crosses and words like, "faith," and "hope" on it. Funny. Anyway, we talked business until for some reason he started talking about his daughter who just left for college. I asked him where she went and he said....yes, you guessed it...Mary Hardin-Baylor. "No way!" I said. "Yes." he said. "What was your major?" he said. "I went on a vocal performance scholarship," I said "but ended up graduating with a degree in Elem Educ and a minor in music," I said. He laughed. "That is exactly what she is doing. Vocal performance scholarship. Teaching certificate on the side." So funny.
Anyway, at the end of our visit, we had determined that his daughter would call me so I could share any "wisdom" with her I had to offer. Funny again and not my idea if you hadn't guessed already.
So many funny and weird encounters I keep having.
I hope everyone will get outside over the next few weeks while the weather is gorgeous. Take out your fall decor like I did tonight and get in the spirit of the season! Now posting this has made me in the mood for pumpkin pie. Yummy!

8 comments:

Mary said...

I'm glad you had a good day! autumn is quite wonderful. I love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

I was even happy to see some crickets because it reminds me of fall!! Speaking of UMHB--remember how crickets would swarm the chapel porch? Yuck!

Anonymous said...

I was just telling a friend yesterday how I miss UMHB in the fall. I loved hiking by the damn and Stillhouse Hollow this time of year. I'm glad to hear you're having some good days. Wish we lived closer so we could share them with you!

Amber Smith said...

I've been thinking about you this week as the beginning of the fall draws near. I was remembering this time last year when you had your fall celebration. You have been one of my inspirations to make seasonal celebrating a special part of our year. We are gearing up for the first day of autumn (a week from today). Target had lots of fall items in the dollar bin (I went crazy!) and I have a few fall-type projects that I'm doing that I found ideas for on the internet. We too are quite ready to jump into fall! I just bought my yearly supply of pumpkins and gourds from Wal Mart, along with a good smelling fall pumpkin spice candle. So much fun!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, my fall stuff has been out for a week! What fun UMHB memories! I saw crickets swarming at Walmart the other day and thought of the chapel at school being taken over by them. Makes me want to site in the Sub and "study"...maybe not.:) Kat

Aisha Willis said...

Fall is my favorite too! I can actually take my niece outside this weekend and play at the playground. I think I am more excited about it than she is. Enjoy your weekend!
*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Guess I brought the Fall with me when I came to TX! :o) It's still here too, though, except it's also rained alot since I've been back. But, it's not HOT which is a wonderful change after August! We went downtown Baltimore on Tuesday to the Science Museum and it was sooo nice walking along the water in the cool air.

I need to do more with the seasonal celebrations...I don't have a lot of decorations like that (except Christmas) cuz I don't want to have to store them...oh well!

Glad you are making some special memories with the kiddos.

Isn't Melissa there this weekend? Get those pictures hung, right?
Love,
Min

Tamra Perkinson said...

No, I'm goofy. I had it in myhad that she was coming this weekend, when really it is next weekend. I'm laying low this weekend with soccer game tomorrow and SO much to catchup on. I got my homeschool stuff up on the wall. I'll have to post pictures of it later. :-)