September 13, 2006

Labor Day weekend

Well, we had a really great time at the lake over Labor Day weekend. The reason I haven't posted about it sooner is because I was waiting for pictures from my sister. While I was there, we worked on my old desk that I had growing up and got it looking so great! We sanded, painted, repaired and added new knobs on all the drawers. What a joy to see my old desk as a child now being used by my own children. What fun. Thanks daddy for all your help! It was especially a sacrifice for him because his back was killing him. He helped me even in spite of that!
The weekend was also filled with many firsts. Pictures are worth a thousand words they say, so I'll let them do the talking here.


Benjamin swimming in the lake by himself.
He could not have been more proud of himself.


FIRST inner tube ride behind the boat!!!
This is scary for lots of adults, not to mention a 4 year old. He was SO brave and I was SO terrified. I was poised, ready to jump in after him at any moment. I didn't want him to get thrown off on his first ride, and thank the Lord he didn't. He was smiling the whole time!


Me and Cait, Sue and Eli, Mom and Benjamin. We were being given a leisurely boat ride around the lake. It was the perfect temperature all weekend. Not so hot!



Cait caught her first fish! First of many, I'm sure.
We couldn't get her to stop scratching her boody so we could take the picture. So lady-like, I know!

The only real downer to the weekend was the nauseating realization that I was all on my own. Benjamin wanted to swim in the lake and I didn't have my bathing suit. He had to go in the water with Chris Lintelman (my brother-in-laws brother). He was so sweet to help me out and swim with B, but I was overcome with the feeling of aloneness. This was my new life. I kept thinking how I was going to be dependent on others for so many things for so long. I felt quite helpless and weak. And yet now talking about it I realize that this has to be right where God wants me. He wants me to find His strength in my weakness, His joy in my sorrow, His healing in my pain. I need to accept it and keep walking. Some days are easier than others in this, however.
The other cloud that hung over my head during the weekend was knowing that at that moment Chris was moving out of our home. He was setting up a new place that would have no part of me in it. We were supposed to be one, yet we are going to be living separate lives. This is what divorce means, I suppose though. Ripping apart of that which was never meant to be separated again. This realization is hard. All I can do is pray that God's grace will carry me through this. I know beyond a doubt that I could not do it alone.
I'm so grateful to my family that loves me, ministers to me and cheers me on. They were so kind and so helpful this weekend. A special thanks to Ryan who looked for ways to serve me by carrying my bags up and down the stairs, helping me load and unload...knowing full well that there was no other man in my life that would be there to help me. (okay, my dad had a hurt back!!) Ryan stepped up and that is such a testimony to his character. What a blessing to have him in our family! Love you all!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tamra,

Thanks for sharing your story about your Labor day weekend with us. It so reminds me of my young teenage life after my dad left. I remember my mom learning how to do things on her own and how hard it was for her. But God is so faithful and guided her every step. He so faithfully, and many times abundantly, provided for us and held us in His everlasting arms.
Keep looking to Him. He has you here and He will not fail you. You are a testimony of His grace, and when others see you rely on Him they will be encouraged to do the same and He will be glorified. Hang on, He has good things in store for you. I love you and continue to pray for you and your sweet family.

love, ann

Anonymous said...

Tamra,

The way you share helps us to know how to pray. Thank you for being so open with what's really going on in your mind and heart. One day you'll look back at this time and be amazed at the ways God has been working moment by moment.

You truly do have an amazing family! Biological and Church...His timing is definitely perfect in all of this and He is walking with you in this valley. I oftentimes find myself feeling what you must be feeling as I let myself think about how different circumstances must feel to you. Wow! Sin is so devastating, but God's grace is greater...keep your mind stayed on Him and there you will find perfect peace.

I love you friend! You will make it by His grace,
Mindy

Aisha Willis said...

I wish I had some wonderful words to comfort you with right now or say something great and wise but all can do is let you know that I am praying for you and the kids and hope that brings you some strength.

Aisha Willis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.