July 26, 2008

Karate Champ

So B started Karate lessons this month. After watching the first lesson of Benjamin's first day I was sold! What other sport do they focus on self-control and respect as well as personal goals, physical strength, health and the like? I was super pumped about my boy gleaning from this kind of experience! So how this all started is I bought one month of lessons at the TCA silent auction for $1. That's right, $1 for a month of karate and a free uniform! Woo Hoo! So, why not try it, right? At th time I bought it, I had no idea where we would be living. We;; guess what? The karate school just so happened to be at the first major cross street from our house. Literally 1 minute drive. What's even better is it's in th same shopping center as my gym, so Cait and I can walk down and workout for 45 minutes while B has class. Awesome!



So B has been going for about 4 weeks now and he has already earned a strip on his white belt. He is Super cute doing his little kicks and punches! I LOVE it!






Here they get to learn how to break boards with a plastic form that splits in the middle.






He DID it! Very impressive!



Here he is practicing his self-defensive moves with a partner. His "Ha-ya" was a little scary obviously because the boy is flinching! I love that they are learning moves on how to ward of a stranger who might be trying to abduct them! Makes this momma feel better!









So fun to see them grow up and learn new things!

3 comments:

Liz said...

My kids have been in TKD for the last 3 years. I LOVE IT! I love the fact that they are competing with themselves and are finding the inner discipline to make themselves work harder! Glad B is enjoying it as well. Hugs, Elizabeth

Tamra Perkinson said...

So glad to hear that someone feels the same as I do! And also good to hear that you feel that way after 3 years. Thanks Liz!

Treats by Trish said...

Hey Tamra - I sent you an e-mail but wanted to post here just in case you don't get it. I will be in Dallas this weekend (Aug. 8, 9 & 10th) so maybe we can get together. Let me know what you think!
~ Trish