March 20, 2007

Good Boys Do Fine Always

You will be so proud of me (at least Kathryn will)! Today was my first piano lesson! YAY! Yeah, I know what you're thinking. I thought you were a MUSIC TEACHER? Well, I am...but I never learned to play the piano, really. I can read music and all, but never learned to play the piano. If you doubt me, just ask Nina and Leah Cook, to whom I give voice lessons. They will set you straight on any misconceptions you have about how truly awful I am on the piano. Poor girls! But hey! I'm not giving piano lessons, I'm giving voice lessons!!

Anyhow, I was thinking about it one day. I work for the Rockwall School of Music. I am already there on Tuesdays when I have no children. Why couldn't I start to take lessons and fix this major handicap that I've always felt like I've had. So, 2 weeks ago I went into the office after teaching my class and just asked if they had any spots. He asked when I wanted my lesson. So I told him that Tuesdays at 12:30 were the perfect, and maybe only option for me. He frowned and said that they were booked solid that day. However, one week later I got a call and a person that took at 12:30 on Tuesdays dropped her lessons... out of the clear blue with no warning. YAY! So, I got the spot and here I am.

My first lesson was super easy with just one hand at a time playing basic notes. I didn't realize how rusty I was in the bass clef. WOW! I stink! So, my homework is to practice my left hand even more than my right and try to pound into my head the notes of that staff. Remember? Good Boys Do Fine Always. GBDFA for the bass clef. I'm hoping it will all come back to me super fast. I am a musician, right? Or so they say...

6 comments:

Christi said...

You are too funny! I wish I could take again to brush up! Have a great time!
Blessings,
Christi

Eric Sowell said...

Yea - I AM proud of you!I would love to refine my skills one day...
Kat

Anonymous said...

Ugh! I am so jealous! I would love to take some piano lessons to brush up on my skills from elementary school when my mom had to make me practice! I just don't have time right now... Maybe someday.

Anonymous said...

Great! I know you will do well. By the way we are out of town with the children. We will miss you on Thursday.

Jeannie

sterjenmademm said...

That is awesome! How awesome it will be when you can accompany yourself while you sing :).

Aisha Willis said...

That's so cool! I used to play MANY moons ago and I would love to take it up again. Hey, we could start a band *LOL* Have a great weekend!

-by the way I am officially in the 30 club now, woot!-