March 02, 2007

Thoughts for Today

"Self-pity is the response of pride to suffering."
Ouch!

"Self-pity sounds self-sacrificing. The reason self-pity does not look like pride is that it appears to be needy. But the need arises from a wounded ego, and the desire of the self-pitying is not really for others to see them as helpless, but as the hero. The need self-pity feels does not come from a sense of unworthiness, but from a sense of unrecognized worthiness. It is the response of unapplauded pride." ~ John Piper

Would you do me a favor?? If I use this blog as a platform for self-pity in the future, please confront me on that! I don't want to have a secret root of sinful pride in my life. I already have obvious prideful sin to deal with!! Please don't tell me if you think I have NOT been self-pitying or prideful in the past, because that would only tempt me to be prideful about my lack of sin in that area...but I know my heart and I know there is sin! WOW! Sin can so easily entagle us, can't it? Only by the grace of God can we be sanctified!

2 comments:

Christi said...

WOW! That is a strong dose that Piper gives in that one! Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

Tamara, this hits home for me. I wallow in self-pity but never related it to the sin of pride. God has been rooting SO much pride out of me that I never knew was there.

I suck and he is wonderful and by his grace my filthy rags are being redeemed.

thanks,
Holly W.