November 27, 2006

Trip Details

So we left straight from the parking lot of Blue Ivy School on Friday, Nov 17th. We arrived in Tomball close to dinner time. Danyel and Eli came to stay the night and we all went out to dinner. I had some good old southern chicken fried chicken, mashed potatoes with cream gravy and green beans. So bad for me! The next morning Danyel, Cait and I went to go see my granny in the hospital. She had to stay way longer there than originally anticipated because they were waiting for her blood to thin out to a healthy level. We were glad to see her, but it was hard. She looked so weak and frail. That afternoon mom, Danyel, Cait and I went shopping and then to get pedicures. Mom treated us all. Cait got her first mani and pedi that day. Well, really she just got lotion, polish and then little flowers put on top of her polish. She thought she was very big. I got a glimpse into the future of many years to come of her joining "the girls" for outings like this one. So fun! That night we went to eat mexican food with Danyel's in-laws, Dick and Sue. Danyel and Eli headed home from there.
The next morning we all got dressed for church. Benjamin wanted to wear his cowboy boots and hat to church like his Poppa. This was funny to me. He is developing his own interests apart from me. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful thing to see your child gain independence, but strange to watch them become their own person day by day. Anyway, B looked very handsome and my dad taught him proper hat manners; they took off their hats when they entered the building. Such a blessing to watch B being instructed in "manly" things by my dad. I can really trust that my dad is going to always teach him how to be a "real man" and be a gentleman at the same time!
Sunday afternoon my cousin had a lingerie shower. We brought Cait, not really thinking through what the gifts were going to be like and what she would think of that. She had the job of bringing the gifts to Angela one by one to open. As Angela opened each present, Cait was starting to figure things out. She said (very loudly, I may add), "Panties AGAIN??" Everyone was cracking up. It was fun to see all the "girls" in my family all together laughing and being silly. Surprising thing? I think my granny's (dad's mom) gift to her was the slinkiest gift of all!!! We all got a kick out of that!
Now Monday was the most eventful day of the whole week. It was the one I was looking forward to the most. Mostly because it was a hurdle that I had to get over. That morning I took the kids to the mall and we did a few exchanges and took care of some mall business (I hate the mall! So inaccessible, it seems!) After that we met Jackie (Chris's mom) and Macie (my niece whom she cares for twice a week) at the mall play area. It was my first time to see them since everything has happened. I felt this explosion of emotions when I saw her. We hugged for a long time and then attempted to make up for lost time. Chris's brother was just engaged a few weeks ago so I got the scoop on all the details. How fun! Th best part is, we talked about real things. We didn't skirt around the issues that were blaring in our faces. We talked about the last 4 months and then the last 5 years. She told me that I would be missed at Thanksgiving and that meant to much to me! .....I'm having a moment..... You know one of those where reality sinks in a little bit more and it hurts. It hurts all over again. They're not my "family" anymore. Isn't that sad?? Divorce is so horribly painful for those who get drug through the mud with you. Anyway....we had a great visit. We actually met up with Aimee, Mikaela and Corey a little bit later and hung out and then went to dinner. I felt like their love for me was not linked to my marriage with their brother/son. They cared for me even though we were no longer married. That is such a blessing!
Tuesday, I went to visit my friend Ashley and her girls. The kids had a good time playing and the mommies just got a chance to catch up. It was fun!

Somewhere in this time Benjamin got his first riding lesson on Hershey, the horse. It was all his idea to want to learn. He brought his boots and hat and was very prepared. I videoed the whole thing and took a bazillion pictures. What a moment! My dad taught him how to stop and turn the horse. I'm a little nervous about the future lesson of starting the horse though. I can just see my super physical son kicking the horse in the side and Hershey bolting off! Well, that's next trip, so I won't worry about that now. However, on lesson number 2 the following day, Hershey stepped in hole and his old knee buckled. Benjamin fell off the horse and landed right on his bottom. Oh was he upset!! He cried and cried...mostly out of fear I think. After he was calm and checked out, my dad put him right back up on the horse with no protest from Benjamin. This was such an important lesson for B, I think. You have to get up when you fall and try again. Don't let fear set in. We talked and talked and talked about it afterwards. He says he plans to ride again at Christmas, so we'll see!
Wednesday the kids and I stayed home and played all morning. We ran around the yard. Benjamin cut through the "forest" with his sword and Cait played in the playhouse. It was a great day of outdoor play, and the kind they just can't get here at home. That night my parents treated us to a special dinner at Pappadeaux's! This kind of made up for the fact that I was missing not one, but 2 of my traditional yummy Thanksgiving feasts. Gosh, I love food! I really do! Anyway, yummy! Thanks mom and dad!
Thursday we went to my uncle Mark's for Thanksgiving. It looked like this: 20 different dishes piled with food, 20 desserts to choose from (you think I'm exaggerating?) guys watching football, kids playing pool with no sticks, the women posing people for a "casual" picture. I got pulled aside more than once and had a family member stick money in my pocket for the kids for Christmas. What a blessing! After lunch everyone went outside. Uncle Mark gave B his first roping lesson. He thought he was a "real cowboy", let me tell you! Can't wait to show you the pictures of that. Then...I got a roping lesson. Not bad, not bad. I love learning new things like that!
After we left Mark's we went to visit granny J in her new 24 hour care place. She looked so much better seeing as how she wasn't so drugged up as before. She has a really nice place there and I hope she'll be happy. Her church comes there and does services. That made her happy! Aimee's church also comes there and Aimee promised to go find granny and sing and play for them. Benjamin had drawn granny a picture of the family for her to hang on her wall. It seems like she's getting settled well. Immediately after our visit I took the kids to meet Chris. They headed for Sugar Land and I headed to Willis to see the Hamms at their parent's house. I thought I was super close, but it took a little longer than anticipated. What a neat family they are...and a blessing! I'm so glad I got to go by. From there I headed straight to Danyel and Ryan's house. We hung out that night and went to bed super early.
On Friday morning D and I went shopping for a few hours. We caught some amazing sales and both almost finished up our Christmas lists!! We headed home, wrapped all of her gifts, cleaned out her baby room closet, got her totally organized and ready for baby Mia. At the end of all of that we were exhausted and feeling pretty productive!! The next morning I got up and started the long trip home to Dallas, where I met Chris and got my babies back!! I missed them!

Long story, I know...but there are some of you that really want to know all these details. So there you go.

One more thing. People I ran into sporadically throughout the trip all seemed to make similar comments about me. Several people told me that I looked like I was at peace, unlike I had been in years. What a confirmation of how I truly feel. And I say this not because I am trying to say what a "strong" person I am. Rather, what a testimony to the grace of God in my life. I should not be at peace right now. If left to myself, I would be a wreck. But no, He didn't leave me to myself. He has showered me with grace. He has shielded me and protected me. He has given me His strength because He knew that I had none of my own. What a loving Lord! I think we all should examine daily, NO!... hourly the unfathomable graces that the Lord gives us each day. If we start to think about it long enough, we should be overwhelmed with a sense of the Father's love for us and the strength of His hand. This should truly fill our heart with thanksgiving. Now we don't have to wait until next November to celebrate our thankfulness to God. We can do it day by day, hour by hour. Lord, help me to do it.

"He is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." John Piper

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tamra,

That blog just makes me praise the Lord!! I sent the link to my mom and friends here who are aware of your trial so that they could praise the Lord, as well.

What a beautiful testimony to His faithfulness in the way He's providing godly males to lead Benjamin...so important and a great comfort to you, I'm sure!

I had my own "moment" this morning as I caught a glimpse of the picture of you, Chris and Benjamin next to a horse trailer...still just tears me up at moments! You're right about how it affects so many more people than just the individual sinner.

I love you friend,
Min