January 23, 2007

Rejecting my wedding dress

Well, today I taught in the morning and then had a few hours before I got the kids back from Chris. I decided to do something that I've been wanting to do for a long time...take my wedding dress to a resale shop. I've wanted to do it for years, but I just never got around to it. Well, while I was there waiting for the woman to look at my dress, I overheard her tell somone that they only accept dresses 2 years old or less. So I told her "never mind" because my dress was older than 2 years. She said, that's okay, I'll look at it anyway. So I went to the front of the store and looked at some nice (and very over-priced) clothes they had for resale. She went to the back to look at my dress. She unzipped and then yelled from the back...for all to hear..."Oh honey! Bless your heart! Yes, this dress is way too old for our store. I'm sure it was pretty in it's day though."
"In it's day?"...
Why did that hurt my feelings so bad? Was it because she embarrassed me in front of everyone else in the store, or because she didn't like my dress? Or was it because I realized how long ago that truly was. Eight and a half years. I'm struggling this afternoon with thoughts like, "8 years of my life wasted." or "He took the best years of my life." So cliche, but I feel it to be true some days. Was it all wasted? No, I know those years weren't wasted. I know I have 2 beautiful children to show for them. I know that I have have 8 years of faithfulness and servant-hood to show for it. But the hard part is that it wasn't appreciated. It's days like today that I could let myself think that I wish I hadn't ironed his clothes, or washed his clothes or cooked him meals, or cleaned his house. I could say that I regret it. But I don't. And I shouldn't. Because as a Christian wife, my servant-hood was unto God. I did those tasks for Chris and he reaped the blessing of them, but my motivation was because I wanted to serve God. No man "deserves" to be served by a woman or helped by her. But, to fulfill my role as a godly wife, my job was to serve Chris as if I were serving Christ himself.
If you are married, don't grow weary in serving your husband. I know he's not perfect and I know he can be difficult to serve sometimes. But remember that your motivation should be to glorify Christ by fulfilling your role in a selfless manner. Be so grateful that you have a husband to serve and that he appreciates it and appreciates you as a result.
So no regrets, right? No looking back and feeling bitter. I will look ahead and pray that God will give me someone to serve again one day...maybe next time it will be someone who appreciates it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so encouraging. Thank you. I forget all to often that I am serving Christ through serving others. Thanks for the reminder.
Love you!
Danyel

Anonymous said...

Tamra,
I know that you have discouraging days (like today), but you are such a blessing to others. Even now, you are serving Christ by encouraging people like me through your blog. God is pleased with your faithfulness the past eight years- and his approval is what is important! Thank you for sharing your heart.
Blessings,
Andrea (Newsom) Williams
-an old UMHB friend

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had to go through that, but wanted to encourage you that you aren't alone. He's promised to never leave you nor forsake you. The kids and I are studying Exodus with a kid's commentary right now and I've been so encouraged by it. God didn't choose the easiest, fastest or happiest route for the Israelites to get to the Promised Land, but He did plan the best way for them to learn to trust Him. I believe that our gracious Savior is guiding you the "best" way , His "best" way for you to learn to trust Him. I know that you know all this, but it's so easy to lose sight of the forest for the trees sometimes.

I love you and miss you,
Mindy

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that your dress was rejected! Thank you so much for your encouragement about serving my husband. Sometimes I get discouraged... Anyway, have you tried any other resale shops? They might not all reject your beautiful dress.

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys for the encouragement. You're so right!!
And no, I've decided not to try any more resale shops. I may just donate it. It was a beautiful dress though. I liked it.